Home> Serve> SHAPE
THE SHAPE MINISTRY
"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--
just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as ransom for many."
"The striving to find a meaning in one's life is the primary motivational force in man."
The Purpose Driven Life, published in 2002 and written by Pastor Rick Warren of the
Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, addresses the need to find meaning in one's life from a Christian perspective.
The subtitle of the book is What On Earth Am I Here For? More than twenty million copies of
the book have been sold worldwide. It has stimulated numerous study groups in churches nationwide,
including Amelia Plantation Chapel.
- Warren asserts that we are here for five purposes:
- You were planned for God's pleasure
- You were formed for God's family
- You were created to become like Christ
- You were shaped for serving God
- You were made for mission
- Purpose # 4, "You were shaped for serving God," focuses upon understanding our SHAPE. So what does this acronym mean?
- S-- Spiritual Gifts
- H-- Heart (What are you passionate about?)
- A-- Abilities
- P-- Personality
- E-- Experiences
- The SHAPE Ministry Team, with the support of the Governing Board, is prepared to help existing members and new members
who are interested in spiritual growth and in serving at the Chapel. Over 80 members of the Chapel have participated in the
SHAPE program and many of them have been placed in ministry at the Chapel. The process begins when a member of the SHAPE
Ministry Team interviews a member with the goal of defining a personal SHAPE Profile. This information is then developed
into a personal Ministry Action Plan that will be sent to the Governing Board and the appropriate Board Committee Chairs.
We hope to find a place for each person to serve in either an existing ministry or a new ministry.
This process is not a means to corral members into serving the Chapel and its programs solely for the benefit of the Chapel.
Rather, this program provides an opportunity for each of us to achieve greater spiritual maturity. Jesus commanded us to serve God.
In The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren states: "Jesus taught that spiritual maturity is never an end in itself.
Maturity is for ministry! We grow up in order to give out. It is not enough to keep learning more and more.
We must act on what we know and practice what we claim to believe."
- For more information about participating in the SHAPE Program, contact Iris Jacobsen, Membership Chairman, 277-1504, or
Joe Marasco, 261-9764, or email us: Secretary@ameliachapel.com